Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Perspective

The neighborhood that I live in is a sweet, older neighborhood. The streets are lined with huge,  lush old trees.  Some people have lived here for decades, others just a couple years.  Living here for 17 years, I have come to know the people who have lived here and raised their family in the same home that now sees grandchildren and even great-grandchildren come for visits.

My neighbor to the north recently lost her husband of over 50 years. It was a quick loss as he was diagnosed and quickly succumbed to the awful affects of stomach cancer.  Over the years, she has said to me many times that she didn't know what she would do if he died before her. Her worst nightmare came true.

Last night, as I prepared to drive out to our new home that is being built, I ask if she would like to join me.  She quickly prepared to join me and off we went.  As we were catching up with each other's news, I shared with her that my husband was going to be gone for the rest of this month while helping with debris clean up in Joplin, Missouri. I went on to say how much I missed him already and that's when it hit me.  I knew that my husband's absence would change; he would come home. Her beloved husband would not be returning. We looked at each other and I had to stop the tears from flowing in recognition of her situation.  I gained her perspective in that moment and gave myself a silent lecture.

Sometimes, a current situation doesn't seem so bad at all when you get a
glimpse of someone else's pain and realize they would switch places with you in an instant.

No comments:

Post a Comment